Monday, June 7, 2010

Relaxation...what does that mean to a mom of 5?

So I had a therapy appointment last week and we talked about things I do to relax...I said I get a massage once a month, the occassional pedicure and my nails down every other week to which she responded, "Ok, so that is for your body, what about your mind?" My mind...what mom has time to clear her mind and relax? I broke out into a hysterical laughter, was she really serious? She is a mom, she has to know that a clear mind for a mom is a rare and almost unheard of thing. Even when I do thing to "clear my mind" so to speak I am still thinking about things I need to get down, errands I have in my week and places the kids need to be on which night of the week. (Thank goodness I don't work outside the home, not sure there is any room left in the brain for doing a job!) Anyway, like any good therapy session I can't get this thought out of my mind. I have been perplexed about this idea and infact not even sure what relaxing my mind looks like for me, I seriously have never really been able to do it. BUT I do see why I need to. I have felt the pain of conviction over this issue. I have not had a whole lot of 'brain" time with God these past few months. Sure, I study, I read the Word, I even pray fairly regularly, but my mind can so easily be derailed and I move on. My focus has lacked a serious amount of commitment lately. Ouch, that hurt my heart a little bit. I would love to be able to clear my mind of all the things I feel like I need  to get done but how? So tonight I am taking a baby step. I am leaving to go read a book, do a little shopping and grab a meal all by myself and see if I can simply forget about home, kids, and responsibility. Ok, so I may not really be able to turn my brain off tonight, but I am going to try and I it is not in my nature to go out by myself, I am after all a extravert, I desire to be with people, but I am with little people all day long...so here I go...out on my own! (Acutally, I am really looking forward to it!) I won't be taking kids in and out of the car, listening to whining and he said/she said, I am going to spend some time alone with God and listen to Him instead of doing all the talking and list making for Him.

How do you clear your mind?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh jealous! What a great idea! I feel the exact same way, how and when do we do this! I have been toying with the idea of no TV so that the time in the evening is quiet, to spend with my hubby and/or the Lord but that is a tuff one for me since that's the way I zone out after a long day! Love your idea and dialogue friend. Let me know how it goes!