Of course we all know today is election day. As I pulled into the local church where we vote, all the kids in tow, I had a quick thought of "I should just skip it this year". It can be a struggle to take all the kids into a place that I swear is more quiet than the public library, concentrate enough to vote the way I feel is the best, and keep the kids from screaming at each other. But just as I had that thought Jacob asked what we were going to do and I said it was voting day. He remembered the presidential election 2yrs ago and asked me why we vote. Ahhhhh, a teachable moment. I talked about how we as Americans have the privilege of choosing those men and woman who make our laws. How we can make a difference with our vote if we feel the leadership is steering the country in the wrong direction. I also explained that we have a duty to vote as well. So many other countries in this world do not have the luxury of voting that we do. They have no voice, no choice....we have a duty to be an example to others.
This election took on an additional meaning for me as well. I always scratched my head before at the list of judges to be chosen to stay or go...I never gave them much thought before now. After having spent the last several years in the judicial system and experiencing 3 different judges for our kiddos cases I felt a much bigger obligation to vote for the "good" ones....the ones that have a history of what I think is the best interest of children. I was proud to vote for 2 of the judges on the list that have made the tough decisions to severe parents, but also give these kids a safe, secure home. It was an honor to hopefully put them back on the bench.
I hope you voted...I hope God is leading this country down a more spiritual, moral path. I pray that He grant grace to this country when we are so far from His path.
No comments:
Post a Comment