Well, never a dull moment in the Self house...Jacob went into full blown anaphylatic shock last evening (Wed). It was an intense few moments to say the least! He had been swimming with Shane and Asjiah and was outside drying off in a towel. Shane came in and they stayed out to "warm" up in the sunshine. 5 min later Jacob comes running in the house and he looked exactly like you see in the movies or on TV. His faces, eyes, lips, whole face were blowing up in front of us. He was gagging and coughing because he was struggling to breath as his throat was closing up. So I threw him in the van and drove 65 mph three miles to the Urgent Care. They of course took him right in, gave him some benedryl and steroids but he wasn't improving quick enough so they called the ambulance and off we went to Banner Desert ER. I can laugh about it now...it was certainly an adrenaline rush! The ER monitored him for 6 hours because there could have been a more serious secondary reaction and they wanted to be able to do something immediately. He slept the whole time...he was pretty drugged up. I stayed awake as he was sending some of the heart rate and breathing alarms off and it made the mama jumpy! So, with my car at the Urgent Care and Shane home in bed with the other 4 kiddos, my Mom was sweet to come and get us at 1:00am...thanks Mom! He is fine today...he still had some minor swelling this morning, but it is pretty much gone this evening. He is not out of the woods just yet, he could have a re-occurrence anytime in the next 48 hours. I also got a stern talking to from the Urgent Care Doc, Ambulance guy and ER Doc that I should have called 911 instead of driving him my self...well NOW I know! The pictures were from my cell phone and are not great, but you can see some of the swelling...it had gone down a bit by the time we were in the ambulance. So...my advice...if you or your child swells like a balloon in a matter of seconds, call 911, do not take any chances! God is so good to teach us all these fantastic lessons...hahahahah!

3 comments:
Never a dull moment! So glad he's doing well! Nothing like a little scare to get the blood pumping!
I am so glad he is o.k. You are one brave Mama!!
Oh, Kristen! I'm so glad Jacob's doing okay. What a scary thing! Do you even know what caused it? All I have to say is to echo "never a dull moment!"
Post a Comment