Monday, December 14, 2009

San Francisco/San Jose Day 1


This is my adorable hubby eating his 'must have' cinnabon at the airport early Sunday morning. I think his face is hilarious!!!! I sure do love him.


Once we landed in San Jose we jumped in the car and headed up to San Francisco. We went to the Golden Gate State Park first and walked through the beautifl botanical gardens. This trip I finally remembered my tripod so we could take pictures together. :-)


Isn't this amazing!!! LOVE taking close up shots of flowers!


Here we are driving across the Golden Gate Bridge...so cool!!!!


Oh, and in some places they make tunnels through mountains...heee heee.


Yes, it was rainy and cold, but we didn't care we are in San Fran baby!!


Did I mention this is why I love this guy. I was talking 'camera' to this sweet older couple while my darling hubby is acting like he is holding the bridge in is hands all by himself. He got it pretty closely lined up for not really knowing what it would look like. I just love his expression...


Oh and in these beautiful coastal cities they plant flowers along the sidewalks which I find lovely!! I could easily live in cities like this simply for the pleasure the flowers bring to my eyes!!


This was all the closer we got to the trollies...we wanted to ride one but on a Sunday this close the Christmas they were packed and we didn't know what kind of time we would have. We are going to try to head to the city on one of the evenings...maybe we will get to ride it then.


Pier 39...tons of street vendors and acts all along Fisherman's Wharf. I guess that what happens in places that are blazing hot for 8 mths out of the year.


If it hadn't been so cold we might have taken a ferry boat ride out to Alcartraz...but this will have to do for this trip. (still really cool to see...would love to tour it someday)


This was the streetside tables at this fabulous bistro we eat lunch at....again, more flowers, makes me happy!!


This reminded me of Seatle and I also thought it was so funny that they had crab for sale sitting on the side of the street...just sitting there...crazy!!!


After San Francisco we drove down the coastal highway to Santa Cruz. This is the pier where Shane went a few years ago on another business trip. I set my time exposure (since it was dark) and just love this shot!

Ok, so now for the debrief part so far. First I want to start by saying I almost broke out into a full sob at the airport. Our gate was next to another flight leaving at the same time for Dallas/Fort Worth. As we walked through security and then again at the gate many, many, (too many) family members were saying good bye to their wives, sons, husbands, daughters, sisters, brothers...they were being deployed. My heart dropped as I saw with my own eyes the sacrafice so many of our families go through while their loved ones leave and defend our freedom. It put several things into perspective for me...it was a humbling way to begin our trip.

Now, on to the trip...there have been several odd things happen that we found funny and wanted to make sure we documented simply because they made us laugh. One, people wo live in San Francisco are interesting...to say the least. They live in extraordinary homes on incredible slants. We laughed as we drove down some hairy streets and tried to imagine 'runaway cars' which by the way they have 'BEWARE' signs for all over. Two, surfers are CRAZY!!! We saw dozens of people, some of which were too old to be wearing wet suits, surfing in the freezing ocean in the dark. If you have to wear a wetsuit and a head cap thingy while surfing then it's too cold to surf...ok, well that is just my opinion. Third, when you are driving back to San Jose from Santa Cruz there is only this two lane rode the is pretty freaky. It was raining and the grade was steap so of course it is a recipe for diaster...had I not mentioned to Shane how this was the only rode and if there was an accident we could be stuck for hours, than I am pretty sure it wouldn't have happened but I didn't and so fullfilled my prophecy. I have to hand it to CHP (CA Highway Patrol) because we only sat for 20-25 mins. They have tow trucks waiting in line I guess on a night like that so they just hook up the accident vehicles and tow them a few miles down the hill and investigate from there...hey, AZ should take a few cues. And finally today, I drove my self to Big Basin Redwoods State Park this morning and had no idea I was in for such a wild ride. The rode was basically put in 'around' trees...yep, around the trees. So it would wind to and fro and seriously, came inches from the big trees a few times. And a beautiful doe casually walked across the road, taking her sweet time and looked back at me as if to say, 'hey, I'm walking here'. I think those trees are some of God's most beautiful creations...more pictures of that part of the trip later. So, that is where we are for now...Happy Monday.

PS Jacob and Samantha...WE LOVE YOU!!!

No comments: