Thursday, October 7, 2010

I guess I just gotta laugh more

Oh the joys of being a single parent while the hubby is out of town. I have several friends who's men travel weekly and I cannot even imagine. I am blessed he is only gone once or twice a year because, geesh, I am exhausted taking care of these kids all by my lonesome.

To my surprise I have actually been doing pretty good. I have had a few rough moments along the way. My "noise" meter (how I handle all the kids and the amount of noise they make) peaked a few times, but over all I managed. Tuesday afternoon got a little interesting however. I had just gotten home from bible study, fed the little ones and sent them to bed. While chatting with Shane on his lunch break Jacob's school was calling on the other line. That is never good in our house...hahahah! Anyway, it was the nurse. Jacob had hurt his hand/finger during lunch recess. She said the swelling was increasing and I should get him seen by someone. So, snatch those sleeping babes from their beds, drop them off at an amazing friend who never says no, and race off to the school. By the time I got there, about 20min after the injury his left ring finger was a sausage and the swelling was moving into his palm. He said a soccer ball was coming at his face and he put his hand up to block the ball. (I did tell him hands were not allowed in soccer and he just laughed at me) His left ringer finger, according to him, was bent all the way back. I though for sure the finger was broken and maybe even the bone in his hand based on the swelling. Off to the ER (by the way, Gilbert Hospital on Power, just south of Ray is the BEST). Xrays, ice and 45 min later it is not broken!!! It is a really bad sprain and maybe tear of a tendon. 2 days later now and it is still a sausage finger. He has been so mature through all this. He has had a significant amount of pain but has hardly complained.  The doctor did say he could still have a fracture that won't show up for a few days, so Shane wants me to take him to see Dr. Braun next week. Pretty exciting  Tues. for this single mom!!! We were in and out of the hospital so quickly we didn't miss a beat and made it to all our Tues. afternoon commitments. I did cheat a little and rent a movie and ordered pizza for dinner that night...heck, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!

My love comes home tonight and I couldn't be more excited to see him. I am desperate for his hugs! Nothing beats the embrace of your husband when he's been gone for a week. And, I have a new confidence in doing this mom job all on my own...but let's not make a habit of it, I NEED my hubby!!!

No comments: