Thursday, July 12, 2012

Healthier Twist on an Old Favorite




Ingredients:
10-12 Campari Tomatoes (I used Grape tomatoes and will double them next time)
3-4 tbsp olive oil
fettuccine noodles
2 large, ripe avocados (I used 6 small ones)
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup pine nuts (I didn't have these on hand so skipped it)
grated Parmesan (optional)
pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven 350. Slice tomatoes in quarters or halves. Place on cookie sheet and drizzle with some olive oil. Roast for 15 min.

2. Start noodles to boil, cook as directed per instructions on package

3. Add peeled and pitted avocados, 3 tbsp olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper to food processor and blend until creamy smooth. Once noodles are done add sauce to warm noodles, mix in tomatoes and Parmesan cheese and serve!

I made it as a side dish to go with a top sirloin steak. It was a great compliment and SO MUCH more healthy. I love Alfredo sauce but as I am getting older it doesn't love me back so I think I found my new compromise! (Plus you get a healthy dose of the good fats avocado has to offer.) And if the taste wasn't enough to convince me ALL my kids gobbled this right up!! YES!! It is a win, win for this mama.

No comments: