Friday, September 17, 2010

Cornrows with sponge culer ends

How about that for a mouth full...? I was feeling creative a couple of weeks back and saw this teen at Wal-mart with braids and the ends were these adorable spiral curls. I of course didn't have the guts to go up and ask how she did that but I did try to figure out a way to make it similar. I started withfresh, clean, conditioned hair. I parted it in half, sort of...her hair is a little short and so I wanted to make tight, small rows and it was easier to take the lower half and braid it seperatly from the top of her head.


Once I had all the rows done I wrapped the unbraided ends in sponge rollers.
Then I proceeded around her head until I was done.

She did great as she slept with them to make sure they dried. She didn't take any of the rollers out, which I was so sure she would. The next day the curls did not come out exactly how I wanted them to. I intended to have them lay down her head in a formed spiral but either the hair is too short or too thick, or I don't really know why. :-) Anyway, this was after sleeping on it one night and it was pretty fuzzy. She did swim that day so the curl came out but the next morning I used my ultra skinny curling iron and finally got the spiral I wanted. I did not however put any gel in it and those spirals were dead by the end of lunch.

Even though it didn't turn out exactly the way I hoped it was still pretty cute and she loved the softer curls on the ends. The whole look lasted about 2 wks and remarkably, her hair stayed very soft in smaller rows. So I am still learning new things with each new style.

A quick side note, I offered my hair services to our agency to possibly teach a hair class for other foster parents next year. YIKES!!! My hubby jumped up and said I would do great and that I have learned a tons of things. He is so sweet and supportive!! So, we will have to see what God does with that in 2011.



No comments: