Finally, I took the girls to see "The Princess and Frog". Both girls were bouncing around with excitement as we made our way to the theater...little girls are just so precious. I love the colors most about the movie. I remember vividly when I saw "The Little Mermaid" for the first time and I was awed by all the colors that danced around the screen during the songs and this movie was the same way. It was very 'classic Disney' in my opinion. It did have some scary parts but nothing I thought was any worse than Ursalla or the crazy witch lady in Sleeping Beauty, but Ayana did ask me a couple times if she could close her eyes...poor babe. What I loved most was seeing her eyes light up everytime the 'princess' came on the screen and she would yell out her name. One part in particular I don't ever want to forget...Prince Naveen was dancing at the ball with the blonde southern belle Charlotte and Ayana wispers in my ear..."Mommy, he is Superman." I said "Oh really, why is HE Superman?" She said back, "Because Mommy, he is handsome!" I was laughing and huggin her all at the same time. And then my sweet Samantha...the movie credits were running and she turned to me and said, "Mom, Princess Tiana is very kind." I was so proud because she can get caught up way too much in the outside vanity of things and I was impressed with her maturity to see beyond the beauty into the character of Princess Tiana, which by the way was amazing. Her character talked throughout the movie about working hard for things and being appreciative for what you have and having pride in where you come from. It was a cool lesson my daughter grabbed a bit of. Anyway, of course I will be lining up to buy it when it come out on DVD to add to our Princess collection, but mostly I am happy Disney did a movie with African American characters and that they turned out to having amazing strength and perseverance.

No comments:
Post a Comment