An excerp from the introduction...
"I thought I knew who I was, much like the woman at the well. When Jesus encountered her there and asked for a drink, she replied, 'How is it that You, being a Jew, ask for a drink since I am a Samaritan woman?' (John 4:9) That was how she saw herself, through a racial lens. That was even how she saw Jesus. In that day, the Samaritans were a minority race. They were despised by the Jews.
I know what it's like to see one's self and the rest of the world through the eyes of race, and in particular, a minority race. That was my life for almost thirty years...until Jesus entered in and adjusted my view. He doesn't identify us by color or culture. When He looks upon the people He created, He see wheat and chaff, sheep and goats, those who are alive in the Spirit and those who are dead, those who believe and those who don't.
He sees sinners and saints.
So despite who the Samaritan woman and I thought we were, Jesus knew the truth. We are sinners in need of a Savior. But he didn't leave me without hope. He offered living water, and in that single offer was immense blessing. He was offering salvation from death and forgiveness of sin. He was offering love and abundant life, peace and unspeakable joy. He was offering a kingdom of God in exchange for the kingdom of darkness. He was offering a new identity.
I couldn't be more excited to dive into this book. I think on a certain level we ALL struggle with our identities...black, white, green, yellow. I know I do! I want to be accepted by my peers, be encouraged and affirmed by those around me...if we are honest, who doesn't want those things, but by God's grace (oh and some serious therapy) I have learned that God is all I need. That He will affirm me when I need and let me flounder a bit for my own growth when that is what I need too. How exciting, isnt it? To be LOVED so much by a King that He wants to grow us in the areas of our weakness and then use the weakness for His glory down the line. I want to help all my children, but espeically my chocolate babes, believe that God choose them to be in our family. That He loved them so much that He protected them from the evil in this world, rescued them from their affliction and desires nothing but their hearts in return. He did that for them, He did that for me...He 'created' our family in His hands...full of life, love and COLOR!!!! Praise you Jesus!!!

1 comment:
Well said my beautiful friend! I can't wait til my book gets here!
Post a Comment