Thursday, March 17, 2011

I stand amazed

I am sitting here, trying to blog about what happened this evening and I find myself struggling with the words to do the moment justice.

We have a wonderful family in our church who organized an event tonight for the St. Baldrick's Foundation, (stbaldricks.org). Last year the Carl's shaved their heads to raise money for this foundation which helps to fight pediatric cancer...and yes, all the Carl's, including one beautiful Hallie...who by the way had long gorgeous hair. She was a huge inspiration to me as I watched her hair grow back and knowing the amazing sacrifice it must have been to let go of her hair. I am not sure, even in this moment I could part with something that to me represents an huge part about being a woman. I have to admit, although it feels a bit prideful that I LOVE being girlie and my hair is a huge part of that. Heck I change its' color regularly just to try things and be adventurous. She is an amazing woman for sure to give all that up to raise money to help kids.

One year late, she organized a local, "shave your head" event right here in Mesa. Not sure how much they ended up raising tonight but they had a goal of $15,000 and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they exceeded that goal. Since Shane has been out of town on business, and it is St. Patrick's Day after all AND the event was held at a local pub I decided to take the kids to show our support and give them a little Irish culture too. The pub was hopping let me tell you. Live music and the most yummy Shepherds Pie...yummmmmm!



This is all of us waiting for our food inside the pub jammin to some Irish music!

Outside on the patio there was a large crowd gathered for this event. I watched men jump in the chairs and get their heads shaved. Then, 3 newlyweds, all females jumped in the chairs. Each of them had long enough hair to donate for Locks of Love. WOW, to watch these young woman, with their parents and spouses supporting them, letting go of their hair...it was hard not to get caught up in the emotion of it all. 

Here are these amazing young women!!!

It was then that Nathan came up to me and asked if he could get his head shaved for the kids. Seriously, this precious 4 yr old must have been feeling the same energy I was. We went to the table and signed up! As soon as Nathan got started, Jacob jumped up and signed up too. I was so proud of my boys!!!








Such a sweet moment to watch your kids do something totally selfless for other kids just like them. We said our goodbyes to some of our friends and walked to the truck, loaded everyone up and I started to pull away. Samantha yelled, "STOP". I said what's wrong and she calmly said, "Mommy, go back, I want to shave my head too. I had Kyla in my kindergarten class last year who had cancer and lost all her hair. I want to shave my head to support Kyla." Ok, ok, how could I not be proud, but I was like, "Honey, are you sure? You just said to me today how much you wanted long hair. This is a big deal...maybe we can think about it for next year." She said, "No Mommy, I want to do this now." I turned the truck around, parked in the fire lane because I was sure she would change her mind once he realized this was for real. Sweet, AMAZING Hallie talked to her and explained what it meant, how long it would take for her hair to grow back and was she really sure she wanted to do this. And for those of you know know my sweet Samantha, she just started jumping up and down, confident in her decision and said "YES!" Ok, this is where the tears start to come to my eyes. She sat right down, had a huge smile on her face and was really mature about the whole thing. Unbelievable! I am so proud of her, my sons...I am overwhelmed with emotion at their willingness to give up the small things like hair to help other kids. These children are pure of heart...not tainted with the evil in this world. They saw a need and didn't hesitate to jump in. They walked proudly around Target and Bashas after the event telling everyone what they had just done. Not sure what I did to deserve these kids but I stand amazed.








She had enough hair to donate for maybe two wigs...she shaved her hair for someone else to have a wig...I am speechless. As soon as we got in the car to leave for real this time they all asked, "Can we do this again next year?" YES!!! (And, maybe just maybe Mommy will join you too)

There were some others taking pictures if I end up with a few of them I will post them as well. Wow, just amazed....

Thank you Lord, for these children. You have taught me an amazing lesson tonight through my children's choices. My heart is full, and I hope yours is too. They are yours...they are following your leading and acting on the guidance of the Holy Spirit and blessing others in the process. Lord, bless them with supportive friends during this time of regrowth and give them confidence to share their story. Amen

4 comments:

Andy and Kiara said...

I love it! I am so amazed that you as a mom allowed yourself to step back and let your children experience this and make their own decision. What did your hubby say later? :)

Lee said...

That is AWESOME. Good job Mama. =)

Melissa Stephenson said...

That was actually me, Melissa =)

Anonymous said...

So touched by this Kristen! Bill had told me about the boys but I think he left before Samantha! What an amazing little girl and a lesson for all of us! You are a blessed Momma!