Saturday, June 2, 2012

Summer Fun Jar - week 1

We just completed our first week of the "Summer Fun Jar" and I have to say it has been a huge hit. I do not plan on doing the activities on the weekends. I want to document this summer obviously for our own family memories but also to show other moms out in the blog world that this is beyond easy and your kids will enjoy it more than you will ever know.

Day one: "Bike Parade"

Thanks to some great friends at church who wanted to do this over a camping weekend and adapted it to fit here at home as a jar activity. $20 at the dollar store for streamers, party decorations and glow sticks!! A funny note about this activity in particular, Jacob made the comment to Shane on the way home from soccer practice that he did not really want to do this when I described it to him, but once he got started and it was getting dark he was so glad he decided to join the fun. THIS right here is why I am doing this jar thing this summer...I do not have many more summers left that he will want to participate, and I plan to make the most of the time I do have!

(I need your grace for the picture quality...I am not the best at evening/dark light action shots)







Day two: "Water balloon fight"

No explanation needed except that we lined the four older ones up first thing so Grace could get her best shot at hitting them because once it started she was going to be out gunned. And yes, the referee is on the trampoline watching for any personal fouls and such.










Day three: "Backwards Day"

I enjoyed this one more than I thought. I took it to the next level from when the kids had it in preschool. I made hamburgers and hot dogs for breakfast and pancake, bacon, and eggs for dinner. This was unique because it was an all day affair. The kids all put their clothes on backwards and laughed all day when they would talk to be about doing things backwards. The other major thing I loved about this one it is cost no money. I have everything on hand it was just a matter of changing up the schedule. One word of caution, hamburgers in the morning are HEAVY for the stomach...but again, totally worth it!

Day four: "Make cookies for the neighbors"

Samantha helped make the cookies, but all the kids went to deliver them. I think is a great opportunity to not only serve someone else by making  their day, but it is great to branch out to neighbors you may not know all that well, or never met.





Come back next week for our second week jar adventure!

No comments: