Friday, November 21, 2008

New Hair, New Attitude

So, can we talk about African American hair for a moment? It is fabulous, and let me say I am amazed more and more about all the different ways it can be styles, braided...just about anything you can think of. One thing I do not enjoy however it taking out a current style and having to brush out the tangles. My sister in law talked about her stash under the sink of African American hair cream, detangler, conditioners being large, well I think I am about to be a close second. What I dislike the most is the crying...and we are not just talking about the whimpering of sweet girls, but the screams of pure agony and flood of tears for an hour while I brush and restyle.




Well I decided that I would try one more thing before I just accepted that the horror stories of my poor sister in law as a child was doomed to be repeated in our house too. I went to the store and finally bought a child hair relaxer. I have done my research and so many do not recommend using this, but poor Asjiah's hair is just so course and frizzy, I could never even run my fingers through her hair. I wanted to try to make it soft and try to control the curls a little bit more. All I can say, is after an hour of treatment, shampooing and conditioning she is even more gorgeous than I could ever imagine. She looks more like her age and her smile is from ear to ear. Her hair is soft, the curls are defined and seperated, and yes a bit relaxed. It is exactly what I was hoping for. I know from the research that a relxer can dry the hair so I am armed with more leave in conditioner and mosterizing oils to help keep it soft and fabulous. These pictures do not do it justice so when you see her in person you will get the full effect. Who knew that I would get my hair styling "license" while doing foster care. Thanks Carla for being a good example and my inspiration for trying to make these babes as beautiful as you.

3 comments:

Lindberg Family said...

She is gorgeous. Can't wait to see her on Sunday:)

Melissa Stephenson said...

Oh I'm so glad for you - We were just talking about that! =)

Anonymous said...

So cute Kristen! I love it and can't wait to see that sweet girl!