Saturday, October 15, 2011

My first Apple Butter



I made my apple butter directly from a recipe in the my new canning book. I only made two jars...I wanted to make sure it tasted good before I make a bunch and hand them out to people for the holidays. And yes...it is delicious. My kids are eating toast and apple butter like it is going out of style.


First, I peeled and cut the apple into chunks, added the juice and brought it to a boil for 30min.

After the cooking time, the apples become mushy and it is then time to puree them into a sauce. Unfortunately for me, I broke my blender during this time, so I have apple chunks but I actually like the chunks in my apple butter...it was a tasty mistake! Then you add all the other ingredients. Sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg...you can smell the deliciousness already?

After this boils for a while, until it can be on a spoon upside down without sliding off you add it to your jars and into the canning pot for a 10min rolling boil to seal the jars.


That is all there is to it. I do think it is a bit time consuming, but all in all I am very happy at my first "real" attempt to can. I have some very eager pickle eaters here waiting for me to make my own pickles...we will have to see about that one!

No comments: