Saturday, September 12, 2009

Peaches, Apples, and Veggies OH MY!

I did "Bountiful Baskets" again today...(haven't done it in over a year), because they had boxes of peaches and apples. And when I say boxes I mean boxes...38lbs of apple and 32 lbs of peaches! Cobbler anyone? I LOVE peaches and I can't wait to start canning them this weekend. Also, I made homemade applesauce to give away at Christmas last year and everyone loved it so I am going to be making applesuace too. I have wanted to do this more but my kids are poor veggie and fruit eaters and I don't like to waste the fresh stuff so this time I took all the kids and they helped me load my basket full of food and their excitement bubbled over. Jacob and Samantha each started eating an apple in the car on the way home and Nathan is currently working on his second apple. They were all trying to tell me which item was a fruit and which one was a vegetable. I had no idea I sparked such interest simply by taking them along to help serve. Then my wonderful son grab a big box stuff with a bunch of other borken down boxes to bring home and recycle...what a little servant! Here is to becoming that reall "hillbilly" by canning!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is this? I love it!

Dana said...

so cool you are doing this- i was just talking to my mom today about needing to get their utah peaches before it's too late. yummy!

The Stilwells said...

Nathan loves their apples and Susan loved the peaches...They have them again on Saturday (last night was the deadline) but we'll be doing apples again if they are offered next month... Enjoy the fruit and veggies.